Great Healer (dàyī 大醫) was a title or rank in the Way of Great Peace (Tàipíng Dào 太平道).
In the early 170's, when Zhang Jue, Zhang Bao and Zhang Liang founded the Way of Great Peace, they gave themselves titles shortly after. Zhang Jue became the 'Great Virtuous Teacher', Zhang Bao and Zhang Liang became 'Great Healers'.
The term Great Healer is only seen in Yuan Hong's Hou Han ji. It can be assumed that 'Great Virtuous Teacher' is a higher title than 'Great Healer', because Zhang Jue is generally considered the leader of the religious movement and the later rebellion.
Rights, Tasks and PurposesEdit
- Treating patients.
- Possibly co-running the Way of Great Peace.
- Nothing known about possible others tasks or rights.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The symbol '醫' is a rather general symbol which stands for the general term 'healing' and thus can be translated into many words related to healing, such as 'doctor', 'cure' or 'medicine'. The Zhang brothers, however, were alternative healers and therefore the word 'doctor' does not really apply to them.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Yuan Hong, Hou Han ji, Annals of Emperor Xiao-Ling of the Latter Han, the 24th Chapter of the Middle Scroll
- ↑ Lagerwey, Early Chinese Religion, page 1065
- ↑ Twitchett and Fairbank, Cambridge History of China, volume 1, page 801
- ↑ Leban, Ts'ao Ts'ao and the Rise of Wei, page 69